Search This Blog

Thursday 21 July 2011

Homesick

How I feel tonight ... Bit odd... But after untold meetings in the City, I think I am homesick. For action, community engagement, seemingly impossible solutions made good, n that JFDI attitude I was taught "at home"
This blog post can be read at 5tth.blogspot.com


I've already tweeted I can't blog on the move. It may surprise you, or not, but I cannot afford to replace a very old and broken computer. The choice was come to London twice, or replace the eee pc. Rightly or wrongly, I came back to London to fight this corner.

If I could have blogged the last 48 hours, I suspect the interested readers would have been numbered on two paws. That seems to be the size if the rural broadband game right now. Why? Because BDUK and so-called initiatives to encourage competition have achieved the precise opposite.

Luckily, there seems to be a hard core who intervention etc has not taken out. I appear to be inordinately lucky to still be part of that enthusiastic die hard bunch who will JFDI.

But our resources are wearing thin. Even blogging this is a late night struggle in a device intended more for my twins to communicate with than for me to share where we are at right now.

This year, 2011, I have watched as company, org,academic etc made fiver to the home work. Not one of them set off to do so. But there are now multiple 5tth examples out there. Nigh on 10 years in , I am chuffed to bits.

Better still, major corporates are now playing outside of the govt boundaries, proving I think that our society approach has layers if investment and engagement potential that works for business.

What thus could do for BDUK etc .. I think that if it connects real people to future proofed sustainable community connecting networks, it can only be a great thing.

The community has already evaluated, at ni expense to the public purse, the time wasters and eliminated, locally, those wo cannot and will not, in the local vernacular, do owt, at no cost to the public purse.

(If you need naming here, you need better community engagement professionals!)

I miss home right now because no-one here can sell me a solution for the future that I do nor believe my neighbours cannot deliver far better. Thus is not a north-south, urban-rural discriminatory thing, it is FACT.

So, as various projects go live this summer, remember the homesickness when you realise that some of us have done our headless chicken impressions darn sarf on our own dish whilst knowing the truly worthwhile stuff is going on up north. Yep, I'm homesick!!

Typos? It's an iPhone.....


2 comments:

Cybersavvy UK said...

Misspelled haiku

T=r
I=o
It's a typo
On an iPhone
And?!

PhilT said...

iPhone - sell it and get a phone and a laptop !

I'll look in my scrap box.....